Dec 22, 2013

5 Small Steps to be Happy

When New Year comes around, I try to choose few words which I want to make my new year resolution; however rather than waiting to start those on new years day, it is even better if you can make them your habit by then.  For this year, Happiness is on top of my list, and so I thought, doing Shawn Anchor's 5 Ways to Turn Happiness Into An Advantage was a perfect opportunity. I recruited a friend to do this small challenge with me. We will do our own things, but having a motivator is always helpful (going forward if it is not private and if it is worth sharing I will blog about it, otherwise, I will be keeping it on my note pad for the next 21 days).

Click the links above to learn in details how it works, but here is the short explanation of how it works.
1. Everyday, we are to write 3 things that we are grateful for.
2. Journal one positive experience that we had with in the past 24 hours (spend writing at least 2 minutes.
3. One act of kindnesa
4. At least 10 minutes of exercise and
5. 2 minutes of meditation.

So here it begins. The 3 things that I am grateful for today are:
1. I woke up and when I thought of my act of kindness, it made me happy. Because it was a great reminder on how wonderful some people are and how their influence on you grows over time.
2. I walked outside and during this winter season, the weather was so amazingly nice that, I decided to change and go running through the woods for a while.
3. I was interpreting for about an hour and half this morning and, interpretation is one of those things that allow you to experience what Roman Krznaric calls, The Power Empathy a way to place yourself in the shoe of others and attempt to see the word through their eyes, because when you are interpreting you are trying to explain things as accurately as you can of what is being said regardless of what you know and what you think. It gives you a sense of how others process information in their head.

JOURNAL: I work for an organization that saves lives. Literally. And I think my job is so rewarding. Extremely diverse office, if you walk into our office, I bet if you care to count, in one day you probably can count over 30 languages. Amongst many one of things I do is, I sit with clients and I ask them their short and long term goals. Some people have never thought about their long-term goals in the sense that most of us (us = most of you reading this). You can ask, what can you envision yourself possibly doing in 5 years and some people just never considered that thought? They feel intimidate to even suggest that they can rise up to some of their desires. This makes me feel so privileged for the fact that I have this sense of feeling and confidence I can be what ever I want to be. Not everyone feels that way. When I push them further and try to get a sense of what they are fond of…they say well it would be nice to be….a nurse (just an exa.) and let go a light hearted smile that just glows on their face when they imagine about it. Every time I get to see that from a client it inspires me, reminds me of my privileged, and makes me feel humble.

While I am at it, I thought I share, my office is doing this fundraising which you can find here and we are only $1K short of our goal, feel appreciated to drop in your blessings.  

Be happy and success will follow.

Cheers,
Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment