Feb 7, 2009

Emotional State of Mind

Feb. 03, 09
Emotional State of Mind


My writings below the line was written over a month ago, but after listening to the new song by Teddy Afro (while imprisoned) titled “Ayinafar Negne” meaning (I am shy) I decided to post what I have written before it. As fanatic, I have wondered if Teddy is going to be imprisoned for all the 6 years he is sentenced to serve? In the times that I have found myself wishing, for his release or pardon, I can’t help it to think if I’m being selfish and injustice to the verdict of the court, or if my wish is a reasonable and justified by others who are fans and seek fairness under the court of law (of course this is under the assumption that his sentence was justified and proven with evidence under the court of law.)
If you would like to listen to Teddy’s new song “Ayinafar Negne” click the link below http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1LSA1XpNg
It is hard not to be stirred up by Teddy’s music as most of his songs hit his targeted audience so precisely. Accompanied by his beloved vocal tone, his music ranges across the spectrum; from helpless lovers victim expression to politically provocative messages and mesmerizing gospel chants for the grace of God; his poetically rhythm lines with the soothing instrumentals resonance, harmonic melody, coherent and thematic lyrics are powerful force of attraction to any, even to those untargeted audiences.
I always loved his music but i came to appreciate and love his music even so much more now. I know I would be lying if I didn’t say that I am fearful of the uncertainty of the outcome of his life after 6 years in prison. For example how can you not feel somber and emotionally stirred when you are in a [sew ager and listen to Yagere Semay
 “…besemay gari yehedkut beririe/ yalfilign biye new sweta kagere/ beslet wetiche lemigne tawott’/ min yize limeles wede enatie bett’/ bahir aku’arche teguzie teguzie hagere tegu’zie teguzie/ tadia endet limeles hagere? Eji enaten yizie hagere eji enaten yizie/ tirgum yatabigna yesidet nureye yesidet nuroye, andinum salyizew limeles agree limeles ageree…satna sikefagn bifesim enbaye, eyanebu eskista lemdiwal tikishaye”
……………………………………………………. 
Dec 11, 08 
“…satna sikefagn bifesim enbaye, eyanebu eskista lemdiwal tikishaye”As I leaned back on the backseat of the green and white bus, there are only three final days left to this winding yet challenging semester. As I wait to face my two hardest finals, with uncertainty and unprepared yet, my anxiety and stress seems to increase. Between studying and working I have slept for no more than 5 total hours in the past two and half days.  Ironically at the expense of sleep and studying, I feel the urge to write what is on my mind swirling like some sort of emotional turbulent.
I am sure and aware that the lack of sleep and physical tiredness have increased the vulnerability of my emotions, but some of Teddy Afro’s songs are causing different ideas to crash and collide with an emotional attachment within me.
Most of you Ethiopians know by now that, Tedros Kassahun better known as Teddy Afro, one of Ethiopia’s sensational musician have been convicted to a 6 year in prison for “manslaughter of a homeless man and fleeing from a scene of a car accident”. I absolutely love his music and admire his talents regardless if I accept or reject all the contents within his music. I was hoping the court would find him innocent of all charges and that he would be back to his artistic life, though at the same time I am not a cold hearted being who would wish the death of the poor homeless man to be forgotten in vein. I wanted justice for the poor homeless man who was run over, whomever done it deserved justice.
It is a controversial case with some believing that this was a political against the musician (Tedy) while others believe justice is being served and there is nothing political about it. I on the other hand while listening to “Yenat Bet” (…”Yetsafkut debdabe dersual wey melk’tie? Ene aloh betena, endetnesh enatei?”) One of his songs and get trapped in between; if justice is served it is great, but i wonder what if… he is innocent? How will he cope with the prison life and what he will be like after 6 years?
Ethiopian troops have been in Somalia since its intervention to help the transitional government of Somalia to stand on its feet against Somalia’s own Islamic militia of the Supreme Islamic Courts Council in 2006. [Though it is debatable if the Ethiopian troops entered to Somali to help the Somalia transitional government, or to strengthen its sovereign security, considering that the Islamic Court had declared Jihad against Ethiopia], If you are not aware know that, especially with the lack of stable government in Somalia, East Africa is becoming a terrorism hub.
Even though I’m happy that Ethiopia’s brave troops will be going home; on one hand, I feel that having Ethiopian forces in the failed state of Somalia was beneficial to the security of East African Countries. Though by no means do I suggest Ethiopia should continue to maintain its military any longer than it already has been.  My skeptic side raises questions and simultaneously I say so to myself “what the hell do I know about military and terrorism?”
Eritrea’s president Isaias Afwerki and Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad seem to be the new bestfriends. They seem to bond so well that “Iranian ships and submarines have deployed an undisclosed number of Iranian troops and weapons at the Eritrean port town of Assab, according to opposition groups, foreign diplomats, and NGOs in the area”. The Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad even went on to say there is no limit to their relationship with the Eritrean “government” and he said that both ““countries share common views on regional and global issues and have similar stances towards the hegemonic powers.” Now that’s a yellow flashing light stating danger ahead to me.
Listening to Tedy’s Shemendefer “maleda tiwat tenesiche/ kebtochien asemariche/ litebikat kewenzu ga hugni/ befikru’a alchilim tamime…tichew eregninetie esu’a esuan sayi!” I feel nostalgic, reminiscing a time when I was in elementary school, i remember leaving the house early, and wait on the road hoping to see the girl I had this huge temporary crush J, thought I don’t really recall how many times I succeed seeing her, because I guess some times she was taking different routs from her house to get to school; of course not realizing she could of made Daniel day J. I tried, but regardless those were some great feelings, even now remembering that makes me smile.
By now, you probably are wandering why the hell am I deviating amongst different subject matters with unstructured paragraphs? This is an expression of mind; my thoughts are not flowing or meandering smoothly [about] a subject so I decided to just try to express it in its original form. After all this is just Dani’s view.
Dani.


No comments:

Post a Comment