Sep 11, 2013

My Four Choice of Words for Ethiopian New Year's Resolution

I feel HAPPY and blessed with a receptive brain that is capable of learning a lot of things if I choose to Click here to learn more insight about the Ethiopian calendar.  This gives most Ethiopian Diasporas, an opportunity or excuse (depending how you look at it) to reflect, reassess, recycle, restart and prioritize our New Year resolution twice in a year. I am no different. So, I too, try to immerse myself in the spirit and dig in deep to reflect on my previous resolutions and subsequent progress.
feed it.  Today Sept 11, 2013 is a fresh New Year to Ethiopians. Ethiopia does not follow the Gregorian calendar or Western calendar. To Ethiopians, today is actually September 1, 2006.

This year I feel more confident, realistic and driven. Maintaining this upbeat attitude and feelings will be the most important part. Making sure those motivations do not become fleeting feelings. I will have to write my goals using the SMART plans and structure my plans and goals into something that are actionable and measurable; well at least until January 1, 2014, when I am sure I will be reflecting and on today’s resolution yet again. I am focusing on four words to help me achieve the goals and resolutions I wish to pursue. Success, how ever small or big we all dream is inevitable, for it is a mere reflection of one’s internal satisfaction to the time, money and energy we invest towards some task or project. Therefore success is largely dependent on our inputs towards it. There are no short cuts and there is no alternate for hard work, but there are essential additions to supplement and enhance hard work. I guess I am trying to rephrase the saying, “Success is when hard work meets opportunity”. My four choice of words for 2006 are:

1. OPPORTUNITY – Take everything for what it is worth and try to capitalize on it, growth and progress will naturally ensue.

2. LIMIT – I have heard many wiser men say, the one thing that stops people from reaching there potential is the limit that they put on themselves. It is true at the curves and boundaries are the sweet spots for learning & absorbing. One’s capabilities and interests must surely be explored and tried one step at a time, it shall be achieved. “I might not be there yet but I am closer than I was yesterday”. And as the story goes, Thomas Edison failed more than 10,000 times when he was trying to create an electric light bulb, but he saw it differently saying, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”

3. ACTION – True learning comes from engaging and trying theories in practical terms to gain more experience. Doing one’s plans timely requires focus, efficiency and productivity (my choice of words in my previous resolution that still will be in play this time around).

4. SYNERGY – Connect things and fill in the gaps to optimize on everything. “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts”

However, with all of that, there is one thing that is hard to plan or execute, but with life’s grace, more than anything else, the role other people play in our lives is unmatched. Through their guidance, assistance or just simply by being in it, they become the source and the reason of our motivation. The reasons how and why certain people enter our lives and are able to influence us is as diverse as the purpose they are in it to begin with

With that being said, we don’t know our influence on others but the influence of others on us. It is beautiful that way. I for one always feel so many people have helped, guided and influenced me for which I am grateful (whether big or small and you might even not know it).

Amongst other things, one of my goals for this year is to learn more through reading and writing. I plan to share what I learn or what I observe with you through one of my many social media accounts and e-mail. I would love for you to share your feedback what ever it might be; it is a great help to me as I try to progress each day. I will post what ever I feel is worth sharing on my Lifelong Student blog, facebook and/or twitter accounts.

If you are on one of those and we are not connected please add me on to the your circle of friends.
or on facebook I am Daniel Ethiopia

Cheers and to my Ethiopians Happy New Year. May 2006 bring you joy and fulfillment. Here is less than one minute video a glimpse of Addis Ababa around Bole area.
~Daniel


No comments:

Post a Comment